Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Mr. Buzz Kill (project I)


My piece "Mr. Buzz Kill" is a commentary on the growing genocide of bees from large agricultural industries and their monoculture farms. Monocultures are farms that grow only one crop (i.e. soy beans, cotton, corn)  and span many miles without variety. While an efficient way to grow a lot of one thing, these farms have a high liability for pest infestations. They end up using mass quantities of pesticides and fertilizers to compensate for their poor farming techniques. These pesticides have ended up playing a large part in the recent epidemic of Colony Collapse Disorder, or CCD, that is causing commercial farmers to loose up to 1/3 of their bees every year (on an average year they would normally loose 1/10 of their bees to environmental conditions). The irony of the situation is that without bees many of these plants won't be able to produce their crops, and bees are accountable for $200 billion in crops every year in the Unites States alone.

4 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the illustrations that accompany articles. MR. BUZZKILLINGTON!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your work! you really did well perspective representation. As well, three images look like different each other because of color tone, in spite of the same setting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the retro look and the environmental message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is an educational aspect about these images which assist them. It is quirky with a clear humorous edge it gives me, but is also supported by the 'possibility' of information it gives me. Oftentimes, humor makes the bitter medicine go down when it comes to environmental messages.

    I like the inclusion of your own graphic drawing here, as it shows a little bit of your authentic skill as well when it comes to graphics. Part of me even wishes that the graphic style you established here with Mr. Buzzkill would be evenly spread throughout panels more so too. Seeing the crop lines around the bees and the sharp edges of the gentleman tend to conflict the more I look. That is just to say that even-ness across the whole canvas can go a long way.

    I like the message you wanted to employ and the explanation you presented as well. I can't say I was familiar with bees as such a system of our day to day lives. Hearing it caught my interest! Something you may take away, that such information about socially unknown things (bees or otherwise) catch attention and interest.

    ReplyDelete